Blah blah blah, yes this is my Knitting Blog!

Sometimes a flurry of activity, sometimes a long time with nothing at all. And right now it looks like a gap of a couple of years (shame on me).

But blog or no blog, I do manage to knit every day - and so should you!

(Interested in my photos? Then by all means Click Here to see them.

Care to send me an Email?

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Fair Isle is DONE!

All right it does need to be blocked still, and I liked that so I will do it again, but I couldn't resist these photos.

This is made with Suss Cotton on Size 7 needles, worked entirely in the round and with no seams (just like the purple one below). Fair Isle-ing takes longer than regular knitting (even though it is just as easy) so this took me two or possibly three weeks to make - I'm not too sure.

After visiting Jenny at Knit Café and finding out about her carpal tunnel CAUSED by knitting, I kind of slowed down, so I probably could have had this done two or three days ago. No matter - I gots me no deadlines.

A word about the patterning -

With a couple of exceptions, I made up these patterns as I went along, or drew them out on graph paper. Elizabeth Zimmerman (henceforth E-Zim) said that just about anything would look good on the yoke and she wasn't kidding.

In fact the black and white bits (the pattern below the green neck ribbing) I drew the pattern and then read my paper wrong - and it STILL came out cool.

So let 'er rip on these patterns - EVERYTHING looks like you meant it that way.

Okay here are the pics!

First one is while I'm doing the yoke:



This is it laid flat:



This is detail of the neck:



And these two are of me wearing it!




It was a pleasure to make, but I think the next thing really will have to be a Top-Down Raglan. I need to conquer my fear, and am SO inspired by the photo on MJ's blog that I MUST do one.

And duh, I never thought about doing a Short Sleeve - but it is cute, Cute, CUTE!

So chuck your trepidations and join me in/on the Fair Isle!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary Jessica said...

That looks amazing! Lovely colors and lovely design and a lovely fit!
OK. I'm going to make one (um, after we move that is), which means that I might possibly be bugging you for advice and/or support.
(I linky-linked to your sweater on my ye olde blogge.)
xo MJ

6:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is SERIOUSLY the most amazing thing I have ever ever seen!! I downright LOVE the 3/4 length sleeve look it ended up with too. And the COLORS!! Outstanding.

I am so in lust with that thing it's unnatural.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

XOXO Jenny

6:59 PM

 
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, that is freakin' gorgeous! You must not be scared of anything if you can conquer the fair isle.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger ruth666 said...

Thanks to all for the gushing praise!

And Carrie I'm still plenty scared of stuff - like crazy stitch patterns. All I ever do is garter, stockinette, or seed stitch.

I do know how to cable (and of course that's easy too) but I'm extremely intimidated by the fancy Slip Here Yarn There stitches!

12:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great, Ruth! Super-fun colors, and it fits you perfectly. I love "E-Zim" so much.

10:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

California Knit Bloggers
Previous| Join| | Next

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next